Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Power to a greenhouse

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:39:21 GMT someone who may be soup
wrote this:-

How would the SWA cable be terminated in the plug and socket?

AIUI BICBW the SWA cable is like a normal cable but with wires laid on
the outside then more insulation over that. I would take back the outer
insulation cut the wires around it at the end of the exterior insulation

Then the armour of the cable will not be earthed and it needs to be
earthed at one or both ends.

The way to terminate SWA is with the appropriate glands at a
suitable location. This could be a box, from which say twin & earth
emerges. I suggest that you don't use SWA as I don't think you would
be able to do it properly.

You could wire the greenhouse by installing plastic conduit in the
ground and threading a suitable cable through it. Something on
http://www.screwfix.co.uk/app/sfd/ca...31822&ts=48412
would be suitable, with appropriate accessories at both ends. Note
that if you are in England or Wales Mr Prescott's daft idea applies.

Electricity and the outdoors is a reasonably safe combination,
provided appropriate cable systems and equipment is selected and
installed properly. If this is not done then one is more likely to
come across a dead human or animal, a five year old nice or
grandchild perhaps, or a beloved pet.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh