Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Dusty road

Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 15:52:36 -0500, dpb wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:08:39 -0500, jmagerl wrote:

My township used to oil the road and cover with a course sand (so the oil
wouldnt stick to your tires) The sun, traffic and dust combined over the
course of a summer to form a crude kind of asphalt topping. Would last for
2 or three years depending on winter heave and than they would do it again.
IF you object to using old oil, there is a soybean oil that is used for the
same purpose
Here in NE Oh where the rural countryside is peppered with shallow gas and
oil wells the local government allowed the spreading/spraying of brine
water (mixed with crude oil then separated once in the holding tank and
drained off.) for dust control. This worked reasonably well as the brine
has a tendency to glue the contents of the road surface together. And it
didn't cost anything actually saving the operator costs from pumping the
brine down a disposal well.

I think EPA has put a clamp on that -- at least that's what the County
here is saying is the reason they no longer allow the brine disposal
usage here...

Could be, this was a few years back when I owned some wells.

Of course, at the same time, as somebody else noted they still use CaCl
an other stuff all the time and _that_ doesn't offend anybody...

On the oil on road, I ran the County guys off enough times when they
would try it here they finally gave it up -- it's not bad when it's dry,
but come wet spell it makes the top surface slick as soap on glass.

Of course, the daxxed red Okie clay "red gravel" they've hauled up here
and spread out in the low spots is even worse -- had several times this
spring if hadn't had the four-wheeler don't think could have made it
back to the house from town up the couple of small hills w/o just going
out into the ditch or the field -- simply too slick to keep it in the
road w/ enough speed up to make the top of the hill -- and that's w/ a
pretty doggone minimal hill height by anybody's except W KS standards.
I gave 'em enough of a ration over that they've hauled enough good
old KS sand back in on top of it to at least make it passable although
since it's not rained enough to be more than a spit since end of June...