Posted to alt.home.repair
Sandy Sandy is offline

Default Dusty road

Our Township offers calcium chloride in the spring. They offer to spread it
(for a fee) on the road in front of houses to keep the dust down so you can
enjoy your home and yard without getting blasted with dust when someone
drives by. I notice that when I'm driving down the dirt road, the portions
that have the calcium chloride spread on are dust-free and much smoother
than the portions of the road that were not treated. The road grader
doesn't have to grade those portions as often. I wish they would put that
stuff on the entire road. Here in MN it has to be applied each spring.
Here is a link with more information.
http://www.usroads.com/journals/rmej/9806/rm980603.htm

Sandy
--
Trees are good. Dead or alive. www.rusticwoodworking.com

"John Reber" wrote in message
.. .
Our community has approximately 3.2 miles of dirt roads which over the
years, maintenance has consisted of purchasing old road milling's and
spreading them over the road and rolling them in with a big roller. Now
there is a movement afoot to have the roads paved, which I'm mostly
against. In my view it will cause more speeding through the community and
will be hot to walk on or along in the summer.

A legitimate complaint I see from those who want it paved, is the amount
of dust generated by traffic on these roads. I'm looking for alternative
solutions that would alleviate the dust problem, but not involve paving
over the roads.

thanks in advance