Michael McNeil

Default Upgrade to a three phase domestic supply?

"BigWallop" wrote in message ...

I vaguely remember the woodyard I worked at having to pay three figure
numbers for the upgrade. Up to then he was running everything on a
diesel genny.

The genny would be viable if you had a means of abstracting the heat.
(Think how much oil a CH boiler uses to no other effect but heating,
while a generator not only burns the same fuel but supplies the lecky
too, also, as well.)

A good ex-military genny would be cheaper than a tranformer on a stick
in your garden. And you could use it to annoy the neighbours if they
upset you -or even if they haven't (yet.)

OT:

How much oil does a central heater use? And what generators have a
comparable fuel consumption? And how much would heat exchangers for
the cooling and exhaust cost?

Got a link to that in the Corris site anyone?

Anyone know if you can use old lubricating oil in a diesel? I know
that you can use it to spray a jet from an oil-pump onto a firebrick
alongside a fan that would work as a blowlamp for melting aluminium
scrap etc.

(Yes I know this is getting silly but I didn't start the thread.)