BigWallop

Default Upgrade to a three phase domestic supply?

"Pandora" wrote in message
om...
I have moved to an old 5 bedroom house that I plan to renovate,
including a complete rewire.

This is also an opportunity to change the domestic supply from 100A
single phase to three phase, if I wish.

I am trying to find a website that has a list of typical currents
drawn by, or VA rating (not Watts - I don't know the appliance power
factors) of, different domestic appliances so that I can calculate if
I would exceed the 100A limit of a single phase supply. Anyone know of
such a website?

Aside from the danger of 415V in the house, would anyone care to
comment on the risk/reward of a domestic three phase supply? (E.g.
higher standing charge?). I do not intend to use any three phase
equipment in the house.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Are you intending to build a workshop with heavy machinery ? Are you going
for a fully electric heating, cooking, automation systems etc. etc. ?

If you come close to needing a three phase supply for an ordinary 5 bedroom
house without any specific installations that would use it, then you'll also
be coming close to bankruptcy with bills you'll receive on using that amount
of power.

Using triple phase and neutral supplies is typically used for industrial or
excessively heavy domestic installation, i.e. letting out separate
apartments, heavy workshop machinery attached to the house etc. etc. So
anyone using such a supply is normally making money out of it to justify the
need.

A simple test to carry out, is to wonder around the house and total up the
load of all the electrical equipment you have plugged in to the mains
supply. i.e. heating, lighting, cooking, laundry, food storage etc. etc.
and see how much power it would use if it was all running at the same time,
even all the little clock radios and things, and I think you'll be amazed at
how little it really does draw compared to the supply's capability.