Posted to uk.d-i-y
John E John E is offline

Default Frustrating toilet flush pipe leak - any tips and tricks?

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...
John E wrote:
Warning: amateur plumber at work...

I installed a bathroom suite five years ago, and until a month ago it
worked perfectly. Then I got a leak from the toilet soil pipe outlet.
It turned out to be a split connector, which I have replaced.

Unfortunately, having now taken the toilet bowl out a couple of times
to fix the original problem, I now have a leak from the connector to
the bottom of the cistern - where the flush pipe exits.

I have tried packing with petroleum jelly; I have tried winding PTFE
tape around the outside of the thread; I have replaced the O ring. I
still have a miniscule leak - about 3-4 drops in an hour after
flushing. I fear that the thread on the outlet might be crossed as a
result of overtightening.
I seem to have a few options - please could you comment on these?

1. ignore the leak - it is only a few drips per flush. It probably
doesn't matter. (I'm not too happy with this one myself)

2. pack around the *outside* of the connector with plumber's mait.
(Might work, doesn't seem too sensible)

3. put silicone gel into the connector, and hope that it seals off
the leak. (Might be a problem to remove later)

LSX around the washer inside & the nut outside.

4. replace the flushing mechanism in the cistern, and install a new
connector to replace the possibly crossed thread. (relatively
expensive, but might have to be done finally to correct the problem).

Not really expensive - about £8 in Wickes for a siphon.

I should mention that I am likely to be selling the house in a year
or so (market permitting), so I could live with a minor bodge - if it
works!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman