Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Gordon Dave Gordon is offline

Default plywood platform or wood slats bed

"dwolf" wrote in message ...

"John" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:41:17 -0400, "dwolf"
wrote:

Making a bed where no box spring will be used.. For years I have always
opted for using a maple plywood platform over using slats... I guess the
original decision came from one... slats do take a lot of wood.. and my junk
bed at home, which is old but has maple slats that do sag.. so on my beds I
use the rails around the bed and then install 3 beefy rails across the bed
and lay the plywood on top... Queen bed..
What's your approach ??

Joel

If you use slats, sure to attach them to the side rails - I've been
dumped out of bed in the middle of the night when an unattached slat
slipped from a side rail. The current bed frame is metal with a
support in the middle of it.

And remember that kids play under anything that is high enough to
wiggle under. There was a death in the area this week when a group
of kids was playing and jumping on a bed and it collapsed on the
six-year-old girl who was under it. I don't have details on the bed,
just the family.

John

Apologies if this point has already been made - I've only just seen the latest posting.
Remember to consider how you would dismantle and move the bed if you moved house. Slats fold up to a
small space, plywood doesn't.
Agree about securing them though. It makes them less liable to snap too, if the ends are screwed into
a rail on the sides of the bed. Or, since the slats don't have to be great wood, you could fit enough
of them so there isn't a space between them, making them less liable to shift. Still easier to move
around than two 6'x3' sheets of plywood.