Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Industrial Belt Dressing

wrote:
Many years ago my dad brought home this belt dressing that
was in a peel back cardboard tube and was made of a sticky
tar looking stuff. He used it on his riding mower v-belt to
keep it fro slipping, and on the a/c belt of the car. Well,
the stuff and my dad are long gone and over the years I've
been looking for it.

Belt dressing sold at auto stores and on-line is usually
that spray stuff that claims to condition the belt and
prevent slippage, but I have found it does little for
slippage.

Now granted, proper belt tensioning will solve just about
any slippage problem but I would still like to find this
stuff.

Anyone even seen anything like this?

Not in 20 years or more. W/ the advent of aerosols, the hazard of
applying dressing on belts via other manual methods is so great as to
have removed demand for anything else from the shelves other than some
commercial liquids.

As someone else already noted, belt dressings are not for rubber belts
at all, but were designed for cloth and leather belts (most all
wide/flat) which needed them on the flat pulleys/sheaves that were the
common drive power source of yore.

The following was originally obtained from Gates but initial link was at
another site, and is useful reading...

http://www.reliableplant.com/archives/article.asp?pagetitle=Playing%20the%20percentages& articleid=258kpg*