Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

Default How to set a steel lintel over a door frame

Detached garage: I'm replacing the timber frame (925mm wide overall)
for the side entry door. The wall is single brick with buttresses.
The brick (soldier) course over the frame lacks a lintel, so wish to
add a steel L section.

Can someone kindly help me step by step with how to set the lintel and
where to put mortar.

First, how should the ends of the lintel be placed on the supporting
bricks? On a thin bed of mortar? - if so how thick?

Next SFAIUI a PVC dpc should be placed on the lintel. Is this laid on
the steel lintel directly without a mortar bed? And does it go up and
over the rear upright of the L?

Next the layer of mortar for the new soldier course: - is this
continued up the rear L upright?

The lintel I purchased has a lip at the top of the rear upright which
sticks out 15mm at 45deg. What is this for and how is it left when
finished?

How should the dpc be left so that it looks trim? Should any of it be
visible?

Nothing else I need to watch out for?

TIA for all help.