Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default Peeling Paint - door frame

On Aug 16, 3:12 pm, "RichK" wrote:
Guess you're suggesting a chemical stripper. Which should I use, since it
would be working on both layers, which are of different paint?

The top layer would be easy to remove mechanically, but messy. Well, no
paint is easy to remove :-) Bottom (I suspect oil) is very well attached to
the wood.

RichK

"RickH"

If you can get it off with a fingernail then stripping it should be
easy, the new strippers are pretty gentle on your lungs and hands
compared to years ago. Then you could just prime/paint onto the good
layer. No, primer wont penetrate it and somehow re-attach the layer
below.- Hide quoted text -

The one I used came in a green and white plastic bucket and was a gel
from HD. It was pretty pleasant to work with not like the old lye or
solvent strippers. You dont need to take it down to bare wood, just
that top layer. Scrape the stripped paint, a little wire brushing,
then apply the neutralizer, prime/paint when dry, it doesnt have to
look perfect just down to a sound surface. Somebody probably did just
slap some latex over an oil finish.