Posted to uk.d-i-y
NoSpam NoSpam is offline

Default Electric Motor Problem on a Cement Mixer

zen83237 wrote:
I loned my mixer that had not been used for a few years to a friend but
it only ran for a few seconds then cut out. It would restart but cut out
again so my guess is temperature related but I am hopeless at electric
motors. The mixer has been left in the open.
I have just retreived it with the intention of dumping it but thought I
might as well check it out. The motor is very simple but looks in good
condition. It has a solenoid type switch that cuts out. Now the question
is does it cut out because it is faulty or cut out because something
else is and it cuts out because their is no power. Is the capacitor
likely to be the fault? I assume that I can bypass the switch to rule
that in or out.
Is this worth the effort or just dump it?

Kevin

I loaned mine to a neighbour a few years ago and later noticed he was
start winding was knackered and gave out shortly afterwards. Any chance
your mate has done the same? A new motor wasn't very expensive but it's
too long ago to recall where it came from.

Dave