Posted to uk.d-i-y
zen83237 zen83237 is offline

Default Electric Motor Problem on a Cement Mixer

I loned my mixer that had not been used for a few years to a friend but it
only ran for a few seconds then cut out. It would restart but cut out again
so my guess is temperature related but I am hopeless at electric motors. The
mixer has been left in the open.
I have just retreived it with the intention of dumping it but thought I
might as well check it out. The motor is very simple but looks in good
condition. It has a solenoid type switch that cuts out. Now the question is
does it cut out because it is faulty or cut out because something else is
and it cuts out because their is no power. Is the capacitor likely to be the
fault? I assume that I can bypass the switch to rule that in or out.
Is this worth the effort or just dump it?

Kevin