Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Door leaks on new Kitchenaid dishwasher

"Dan" wrote in message
The machine is brand new, so returning it is the obvious solution, but I'm
wondering what might be the cause of this. The machine is level in all
planes & the various seals appear to be fine. The door does not leak
while the machine is running, just briefly immediately after
opening/shutting. I should add this is at least the 10th dishwasher I
have installed, but I'm wondering if anything I may have over-looked might
account for this leak & save me the hassle of a return.

The obvious solution is to NOT return it but to find the problem and fix it
or have it fixed. Do your really want to drag it out again?

First step is to determine the cause. I wonder if when the unit was packed
if something got caught in the gasket and it deformed a bit. Now that it is
installed, if that was the problem the gasket may come back to proper shape.

Take a look at where the water runs when you open the door. Remember, the
water is splashed all about and it may not be running down properly, or it
may drip from the top rack. Make sure nothing is impeding the gasket or the
door closing. A missed piece of packing tape can be a PITA.

Next step is to just let it run. I'd bet that once the machine starts, we
don't open the door at all but maybe once or twice in a year to add
something. As bad as the TV can be, it is far more entertaining than
watching the spray arm of a DW come to a halt. "Hey Bubba, bring over a six
pack tonight and we'll watch the dishwasher fill and drain."