Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

Default Sugar Soap -- good enough?

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
news
rrh wrote:
"jal" wrote in message
I really hate painting gloss. Trouble is, all the woodwork in our (60s)
house is painted white, and it's mostly looking grubby now, so I'm going
to have to re-paint it all. There's bloody miles of it, plus some big
panels on the stairs.

Is Sugar Soap good enough to prepare the surfaces? I'm thinking: a good
wash with Sugar Soap (and presumably a good rinse); undercoat Dulux
Professional Brilliant White; topcoat DPBW.

Can I get away with that?

John

I second John Evans's suggestion of liquid sander. The only one I've seen
on sale is I think called Easy Sand and is made by International. Works
well and avoids the dust from sanding which I hate.

I don't know that it does anything much at all other than slightly polish
the surface. If it doesn't attack the finish in any way and powders off if
you dust the surface, what use is it?

I think it does attack the finish. It certainly takes a bit of the shine off
gloss. The instructions say paint within 6 hours for best results. That
implies to me that it softens the finish or in some other way makes it
better as a surface for new paint.