Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Rick is offline

Default Connecting your own water main to meter?

On 31 Jul, 16:01, Fash wrote:
Hi everyone,

I was in the process of digging a new trench for the water main when
the inevitable (or almost inevitable) happened and I put a pick-axe
through the old one. Fortunately I had checked I had a key to turn off
the water meter given the inherent danger so not too much spillage.
(The other half who was in the shower was significantly under
impressed!). Anyway, with the advice of a friendly gas-man (utility
problems are us at the moment - big gas leak last Wednesday resulting
in new gas main) I dug right back to the meter finding a 25mm MDPE
compression fitting reduced down to a 6" piece of 20mm MDPE connected
to the iron I'd put the hole in.

At the moment I now have 10m of 20mm MDPE connected to the meter
(truly DIY) which joints on to copper by the house, all temporary. I
think I can probably find the fittings to come straight off the meter
in 25mm MDPE which (whilst it's not 32mm) should be good enough as we
have quite a high pressure supply anyway. If I don't mention it to the
water company I save a minimum of £300 by doing the connection, plus
they don't get the chance to condemn all my internal fittings which I
haven't got round to replacing yet.

Has anybody done this, i.e. self connected a water main and is there
any chance (short of them coming round to read the meter tomorrow -
fortunately they read it last week) of the company knowing or caring.
Probably the most important thing is that if I do it I don't have to
wait for them to inspect before backfilling and putting the gas main
on top (at an appropriate separation obviously).

Comments?

Fash

I found that the bit of pipe (1/2 a mile in my case) after the water
meter is mine, do pretty much do with as I please. When we replaced
this pipe I simply connected the new one to the old one, about 24
inches on my side of the meter. Leaving 24 inches gives me a few bites
at the cherry so to speak, before I have to touch the meter.

Mr Water Borad has been round since, and the trench was clearly
visable for about 6 months while the grass grew back, and the mess the
digger made in the mud cleared itself up.

Rick

Rick