Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Engineered vs. Plywood for Kichen cabinets

Yamuk wrote:
In regard to kitchen cabinets, what are feelings in terms of
engineered wood vs. plywood for the end panels, floors/tops, wall
backs, base backs, and shelves?

The proposed cabinets would be getting use only by 2 retired baby
boomers.

When the inevitable leak comes, you will be glad that you have plywood.
If particle board gets wet, it bulges more (IMO) and crumbles. We
have bathroom vanities where just the moisture on seam of where two
pieces of formica meet, the particle bd. absorbed a little moisture, it
bulges open a tad, gets more moisture....moisture tends to hang on the
bottoms of the doors, as well, and they have bulged a little. Most
noticeable on backsplash. I also had a countertop of p.b. which wicked a
little moisture from a tight-looking seam and started to bulge.

We had a flood, just months after refacing and getting new doors/drawers
on our very old ply kitchen cabinets. No harm done, but it got cleaned
up quickly.