Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Golden Ratio Dividers

This allows anyone to build a golden ratio divider of any size at all.
The method is independent of measurement units (inches, mm, cubits, ad
nausea).

The attached drawing shows the design layout. Note that all angles are
either 90 or 45 degrees (It's pretty obvious which are which).
Wherever two lines meet, there's a pivot.

Decide on the longest measurement you want the dividers to handle.
Let's call it L. Either multiply L by 0.618 or divide it by 1.618. The
result will be the span between the left point and the "middle" point.
Let's call that Dmajor. Then the span between the "middle" point and
the right point will be Sminor = L - Smajor.

The only other piece of information needed is that the length of a
side of a square is (roughly) 0.707 times the length of a diagonal.

One of the things that ocurred to me as I made the drawing was that
there's no limit to the number of "middle" arms this thing can have,
and that even with just one arm, you can set up any ratio you want
(eg: divide any span into thirds).

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar