Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kevin Miller Kevin Miller is offline

Default Segmented Bowl

tdup2 wrote:
Both are beautiful. I'm mystified! How did you get the purpleheart on the
outside and not the inside? Are those laminated pieces in between?

Tim

Thanks Tim. It was pretty easy actually. I've attached a photo of
another segment ring that I'm working on. It's purpleheart with a maple
'scallop' - the opposite of the bowl I posted but the idea is the same.
It's also much smaller - it'll be a sugar canister or some such.

Essentially the 'scallop' wood is sandwiched between two pieces of the
primary wood. In the case of the bowl that was maple. Since the vessel
is cut at an angle you expose the sandwiched piece creating the scallop.
But since there's a piece of maple on either side of the purpleheart
center, you only see maple on the inside. Assuming you don't cut too
deeply! g

To make the purpleheart come all the way through on the maple bowl I
simply put spacers between the segment joints. I didn't do that on the
attached photo, but if I had, to get the same effect they would be
maple. Hope that makes sense...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller