Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Asberry Andy Asberry is offline

Default Calcium Chloride for my driveway

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:37:41 -0400, "Zephyr" an address @ some place
..com wrote:

Hey folks,

My driveway is fairly long and dusty. I'd like to put down some calcium
chloride to help hold the fines together and keep the driveway in better
shape, as they do with the local ( SE MI) roads here.

I can buy the stuff in chip form in50 lb bags. the county puts down the
stuff on the roads in liquid form though.
I was thinking I'd buy a bag or 2 and mix it with water and then put it in a
sprayer or pour it out on the driveway.

anyone done something like this before?
I've read that the liquid is often a 35% solution, how can I come close to
that same percentage when mixing my own?
any idea's on how to apply it? I've got a dinky weed sprayer, but that
would take forever....

thanks for you ideas

Dave

I'm in Texas where we only use it in tires for ballast. My
recommendation is to water your drive and THEN spread the calcium
chloride. If you add water to a bucket of calcium chloride, it will
get extremely hot; possibly boil over. Always add the calcium chloride
to the water.

--Andy Asberry--