Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default How often should an interior fuel oil tank be cleaned out?

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"George" wrote in message
I know a few friends whose insurer required tanks to be replaced only
because of age. It also lessens further risk because all new interior
tanks are double wall.

I'd change insurers. They are welcome to come and inspect my tank, but I'll
be damned if I'm going to replace a perfectly good tank just because it hit
a certain age.

Our insurance company at work (as well as state law) requires we inspect our
air tanks every two years. It takes about 5 minutes to do an ultrasound on
one. Much cheaper that scrapping good material.

Certain local oil companies will no longer fill inside tanks unless you
have proof of age or a certificate from an inspector. They pay giant
premiums for spillage insurance and their insurers give them a discount
for doing this.