Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Help diagnose Motion Detector light problem

OK, based on your description, this is what you should have: In the junction
box where the motion detector resides, assuming the floodlights are at the
same location, there should be three wires entering the box, probably red,
white, and black. There should be three wires on the motion detector, also
red, white, and black. There should be two wires going to the floodlights,
white and black. Somewhere in the circuit is a photocell,which is a device
that keeps the lights on from dusk to dawn. Not knowing where in the circuit
it is located, I'm going to assume it is somewhere before the above
described junction box. In the junction box connect all white wires together
under a wire nut. Connect the black wire from the switch to the black wire
of the motion detector under a wire nut. Connect the red wire from the
switch to the red wire of the motion detector and the black wires going to
the flood lights under a wire nut. Connect any ground wires together and to
the box. This is of course assuming one wiring scenario. It would be much
better if you describe exactly the wires you see at the junction box
"Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" wrote in message
It sounds like the switch toggled between a photocell controlling the
lights
or the motion detector controlling the lights. Whatever device was
controlling the lights when they stayed in the on position went bad. The
black wire of a motion detector is not a ground, it gets connected to the
feed hot wire, so you clearly wired it incorrectly. At this point you
should
probably call back the electrician to diagnose and repair the problem

Guys,

I shut the circuit breaker off for 30 minutes. When I turned it on, the
motion sensor light stayed
on. As you said, there is something wrong.

I was hoping that a forum member could tell me the correct wiring of what
color wires goes where
to get the motion detector to behave the way it was working as. Also, to
tell me, where to look for
the problem.

Here is the summary, of how the motion detector used to work and the way,
I want it to work...

1) When the wall switch is in the down position, the lights are triggered
when motion occurs and
shuts off a few minutes later.

2) When the wall switch is in the up position, the lights stay on all the
time at night.

********* begin *******

Can someone explain how a wall switch affects how a motion sensor is
working to produce the above
way, I want it wired and the way it used to work?

********* end *********

So based on this, how do you think the wires should be "wired" and also
where do you think the
problem is occurring.

I am trying not to use an electrician, if I just knew what to change or
replace. Since I already
swapped out the old motion detector for the new one, I know that the
problem is not a faulty motion
detector. The problem is something else.

So you mentioned that the black from the motion detector is not a ground.
If I put this on to the
other black wires, should this fix the problem of that the lights always
stay on and the motion is
being bypassed?

Thanks much,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net