Dan Caster

Default Propane Torch problems - Bernzomatic etc

The hand held torches have a very small orfice that can get clogged.
You might take it apart and do your best to clean the little bit with
the hole that is not visible to the naked eye. Carb cleaner or an
ultrasonic cleaner is what I would recommend.

Dan

Richard Ferguson wrote in message ...
I have been trying to use my Bernzomatic type propane torch for some
soldering, and it has been so frustrating that I have been grabbing my
Oxy-acetylene torch instead. The propane torch keeps going out,
especially when I invert the torch to solder something below the torch.

Is it typical to have problems if the bottle is above the torch?

Do I need a better torch? I am not sure about the brand of what I am
using, can't find a name, maybe a bad sign.

Would I be happier with a torch with a long hose connected to a large
bottle of propane? I have such a bottle in my shop, I have seen this
type of torch used by plumbers and others.

I am soldering sheet copper, around 0.020 inch to 0.040 (0.5mm to 1 mm)
thick, if that makes any difference. I do occasionally solder copper
pipes as well.

Thanks in advance,
Richard