David Courtney

Default Propane Torch problems - Bernzomatic etc

I had all sorts of trouble with mine until I realized that the gas valve
wasn't opening all the way... if you just open it until you feel resistance,
it will be about 1 turn short of fully open. With it fully open, mine works
upside down, stays lit in the wind, lights right away, etc.
David

"Richard Ferguson" wrote in message
I have been trying to use my Bernzomatic type propane torch for some
soldering, and it has been so frustrating that I have been grabbing my
Oxy-acetylene torch instead. The propane torch keeps going out,
especially when I invert the torch to solder something below the torch.

Is it typical to have problems if the bottle is above the torch?

Do I need a better torch? I am not sure about the brand of what I am
using, can't find a name, maybe a bad sign.

Would I be happier with a torch with a long hose connected to a large
bottle of propane? I have such a bottle in my shop, I have seen this
type of torch used by plumbers and others.

I am soldering sheet copper, around 0.020 inch to 0.040 (0.5mm to 1 mm)
thick, if that makes any difference. I do occasionally solder copper
pipes as well.

Thanks in advance,
Richard