Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default combi boiler pilot light

In article .com,
writes:
Hi,
I'm helping a friend out who is in hospital with his wife who is in
labour!
Basically the pilot light on their SIME combi boiler won't stay lit

Is it meant to? I can't imagine there are many combis with
permanent pilot lights. If you mean it goes out instead of the
main burners firing up, then the control board is probably
detecting a fault during the ignition sequence.

and the pressure on the boiler is 3.25 bar when cold. It's a saturday

Sounds like either the filling loop has been left connected
with water passing through (possibly to counteract a leak),
or the plate exchanger has a leak between the two sides.

so not a good day for this to happen (especially as they'll be
arriving home with their first child shortly!)
Plumbers are asking £70+ just to look at it but i have a feeling they
will then say they need a part and that the wholesalers are shut till
monday, so my questions are as follows:
a) any ideas on a quick fix for this? (For someone who doesn't know
much about boilers..i doubt it somehow)

No.

b) Is a plumber likely to need parts? If yes,then I guess it's better
not to even get them out till monday and avoid extra call out charges
what do you think?

I doubt that will make any difference, unless they charge more
for a callout today rather than Monday.

--
Andrew Gabriel