Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Cleaning Exterior Corrosion from Copper Pipes?

JB wrote:
On Jun 22, 10:33 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
JB wrote:
I have a copper pipe that has a good coating of green corrosion from a
slow water leak. Its about 5' so I would prefer to not struggle with
emory cloth or steel wool to get it clean. Is there a magic solution
of something that will remove it? Or do I just need to use some elbow
grease or a drill/wire brush?

Try vinegar or (believe it or not) Coke. Same technique as corroded battery
terminals.

Interesting idea. I'll try it. Diet or regular? :-)

In place more of a mess than worth it imo. Got to make sure to clean up
every bit of the residue or the sugar/syrup will attract every ant in
the county plus it's sticky goo...yech!!

Can't be that hard to simply take some emery paper and go to it a
little. Might even scrape some of the worst first. As noted above, if
the point is to demonstrate the joint no longer leaks, the area at the
joint itself is sufficient for that purpose.

imo, ymmv, $0.02, etc., etc., ...