Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default convert outlet from 230V to 115V

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 18:57:11 -0000, (Chris
Lewis) wrote:

According to Mark Lloyd :
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 06:27:59 -0700,
wrote:

On Jun 14, 10:23 pm, mm wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:29:57 -0700, wrote:
I purchased a thru-the-wall A/C unit that runs 115V to replace an out
A/C and didn't realized the old ran on 230V. Is there an easy way to
convert the 230V outlet to 115V?

If I recall correctly, 220v ACs are more efficient than 110. CAn you
return the one you have and get one that works on 220/30/40.

(Doug, I live in the 110/220 world and don't plan to move until I
reach the Next World.)

IIRC, if you calculate the actual rms voltage, a "110" or "120" volt
line is actually 117v. Of course this is nominal, since it excludes
noise and IR drops.

How would you get that?

BTW, my outlets usually supply exactly 120V RMS.

Unloaded.

Power specifications take into account permissible voltage drop
under load. The permissible voltage drop includes the +/- 5%
tolerance or so permitted at your service panel's 120/240V
and the 5% or so voltage drop permitted over the house wiring
and supply cords.

Which basically means that house power is allowed to be (by code
and regulation) anywhere between about 110V and 130V.

In other words, some people call it 110V, others call it 120V,
and some people pick numbers in between. And of course, most
volt meters aren't very good at this accuracy on AC house power
either.

OK, about the voltage drop and permissible voltage ranges. However
that doesn't seem to explain how you got that specific number (117).
Are you measuring peak voltage somewhere and calculating from that?

The outlets in my house are normally supplying 120V with no load
(other than the kill-a-watt meter). Where is the 117V in that?

BTW, The voltage numbers I remember hearing about are 110V, 115V,
117V, 118V, 120V, 120V and 220V, 230V, 235V, 240V.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell