Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary Slusser Gary Slusser is offline

Default Is there a best type of valve for hard water?

On Jun 18, 12:43 pm, "
wrote:
On Jun 17, 7:04 pm, Lawrence wrote:

**** dude get a watersofteneralready. Available at your local big
box, I have installed two with no prob. If you can replace your
toilet and faucet valves then a watersofteneris within your
abilities.
From realtor I've heard of maintenance problems with water softeners,

and also problems with the salt it adds into the water, not only
health problems in terms of sodium intake but also accelerated
corrosion e.g. of water heaters. Just not sure if the cure isn't
worse than the disease of having to replace valves and flush the water
heater and such...

Wrong in most cases. You get 7.85 mg of added sodium (with the use of
softener salt) per roughly a quart of water per grain per gallon of
ion exchange. I.E. 20 gpg hard water would have 157 mg of sodium in a
quart of the softened water. A slice of white bread usually has
120-160 mg of sodium.

Water heaters and hard water do not do well. Electric elements coated
with hard water scale increases the cost to heat water and cause the
elements to fail prematurely. Gas and oil fired water heaters fail
very quickly and use a lot more fuel since they are full of hard water
scale.

Softened water does not harm water heaters as one or more heater web
sites etc. claim. Softening water does not reduce the TDS (total
dissolved solids) of the water, it slightly increases it, that makes
the water conduct electricity; the things dissolved into the water are
responsible for conductance. Softened water will have the same pH as
hard water, so the water is not aggressive or acidic either.