Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tar paper vs. Plastic for foundation wall waterproofing

Yeah membrame costs more but MUCH more effective!

DRAIN PIPE MUST MUST MUST be BELOW FOOTER LEVEL! Or your water will
move from wall to floor level!

Been there done all this.

Honestly its way less work and expense to install a indoor french
drain system.

No exterior digging. No digging it up again in a number of years when
the drain line gets clogged with dirt, trust me sooner or later it
will. no replacing plantings and lawn in effected area. system also
removes water from below floor so high seasonal water table is no
problem.

first make certain gutters are clean, downspout water goes at least 15
feet from foundation, and ground slopes AWAY from home.

I spent a summer and over 10 grand DIY trying to fix water problem
from outdoors. hired contractors for some I was laborer

Installed outdoor perimeter drain, actually replaced old clogged one,
a former owner had installed. backfilled to grade with rock, expensive
since sidewalk being replaced, cant put new sidewalk on dirt it will
crack, waterproffed outside walls, had many dump truck loads of excess
dirt hauled away, new downspot a drain lines, all new resloped lawn.

high water table resulted in water coming up thru floor..... after all
that money
and expense

had interior french drain and sump pump installed for under 4 grand
that fixed it all. should of done that from beginning

would of saved a summers hard work, although yard looked wonderful
when it was complete.........

save yourself a lot of grief fix it from inside...

from one who has been there done that.........