Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Davy Davy is offline

Default Briggs & Stratton 3.5hp Engine Will Not Start with Air Filter Bolt Installed

Christopher,

you might have a point about being too rich. Looking again at the carb, the
filter retaining bolt goes through the centre of the choke butterfly. When
the bolt is removed then it leaves a hole in the middle of the choke and the
engine is less choked.
I was on the wrong lines, as in "what does the bolt interfere with"; rather
I should have been thinking "what is different with the bolt removed"
thanks

Davy

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
That's an oldie but a goodie. My first sense is that you have the
mixture screws out too far, and it's running rich. Turn in
(clockwise) till very lightly seated, and back them out 1 1/2
complete revolutions.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Davy" wrote in message
: My 1968 B&S 3.5 HP lawnmower engine (92902, pulsajet carb with
two fuel
: pickup tubes) will not start unless I remove the air filter;
nor will it
: start with just the air cleaner bolt installed without the air
filter.
: I have serviced the carb and replaced the gasket. I have
checked and am
: certain that the bolt is not interfering with the movement of
the manual
: choke.
:
: Anyone experienced this problem?