Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE Sylvain VAN DER WALDE is offline

Default Briggs & Stratton 3.5hp Engine Will Not Start with Air Filter Bolt Installed

"R" wrote in message

"Davy" wrote in message
My 1968 B&S 3.5 HP lawnmower engine (92902, pulsajet carb with two fuel
pickup tubes) will not start unless I remove the air filter; nor will it
start with just the air cleaner bolt installed without the air filter.
I have serviced the carb and replaced the gasket. I have checked and am
certain that the bolt is not interfering with the movement of the manual
choke.

Anyone experienced this problem?

Gotta be a blocked jet somwhere or a gasket covering a hole.

I second that opinion. I suggest that you dismantle that carburetter again,
and clean it thoroughly in clean petrol (having thoroughly cleaned the
outside first with Gunk, paraffin, or petrol). Preferrably, blow through all
the jets with compressed air. As as been suggested; some gaskets can be
fitted the wrong way round, thus covering a fuel or air jet.
BTW, I have no experience of that particular carburetter.

Sylvain.