Posted to uk.d-i-y
Will Will is offline

Default Damp patch on wall

"TMC" wrote in message

First thing to find out is where the damp is coming from.

Is there a pipe buried in the wall that is leaking?

As it was originally the external wall is it 9" solid brick or is there a
cavity?

If it is a cavity wall it is possible that something is bridging this
cavity and collecting moisture, though where the moisture is coming from
is another matter, maybe a leak into the top of the wall?

Tony

Tony

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

yes, I guess that's the difficulty. The damp patch is directly next to the
door frame (into the kitchen), about 3 feet up from the floor.
The walls appear to be solid. I'm not aware of a cavity of any kind. It
would be a pretty unusual place for a pipe I think.
A leak at the top of the wall might be a good shout though, as part of the
drain pipe looks like it's collapsed, and it might be possible that water
from that could be running onto the wall. I had discounted that before, as I
damp patch was in an unusual position.

cheers,