Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

Default Scuffing paint on pre-primed door

"Norminn" wrote in message
k.net...

I would be very careful not to scuff through the primer and expose the
steel, for fear of rusting. Fine steel wool would be my choice...a primer
should have no gloss, so that is an odd instruction. If a flat finish
primer, then all that would seem necessary would be to remove any
chalking and/or dirt. If using steel wool, vacuum off when finished so
you don't leave any tiny particles of steel wool, as they will rust.

Thanks for the reply. All the things you mention are what I was concerned
about. I think I may just wipe it down with mineral spirits & paint it w/o
the abrasion. The primer is flat, and no doubt quite thin. I'm imagining
that sanding through to the bare metal and subsequent rust is more of a
threat to the final finish than the need for adding more "tooth" to the
already flat primer.

Dan