Posted to alt.home.repair
MarkL MarkL is offline

Default do I sand and polish the floors first, or paint the walls first?

On May 31, 8:24 pm, stefoid wrote:
I am wondering this - do you have to remove skirting boards to sand
and polish floorboards? if so, it would probably be better to do the
floors first so that removing the skirting boards doesnt upset a new
paintjob.

If you do it yourself, take the trim and the drywall off because
you'll probably run the machine through the wall. If you have a pro do
it, I would paint first, they might make a few small marks but you can
touch it up and won't have to worry about getting paint on the new
floor.

Sanding a floor takes some experience with the machine you're going to
use. If you decide to do this, absolutely don't rent the kind of
machine that uses sanding drums, it will gouge your floor so fast you
won't be able to stop it. They make newer machines that are more like
huge belt sanders, but even they require skill and experience. I would
strongly concur with the other poster who suggested having a
professional do this.