Roy

Default DeWalt radial saw motor wiring question

What is the arbor size? The 3 hp 12" saws prior to 1966 had 1" arbors.
Since then they have cut them down to 5/8" Is the top of your saw flat
or does it have a crown to it? The ones with the rounded arm are top
of the line DeWalts.........not that there is anything wrong with the
other ones though.

Oh never mind, I see you do not have the entire saw, just the motor
and yoke assembly..Still a good find no less.

On 25 Mar 2004 15:22:01 -0800, (Dean) wrote:

===Thanks for the info Roy. I found the motor at a garage sale with a
===12" blade attached and in a cradle. It says it is 3+ horsepower but I
===think that may be optimistic. I thought since it was TEFC that it
===might be good for a cut off saw since the metal and dirt would not get
===inside.
===
===I'll contact Original Saw Company and see if they know what the red
===wire is for.
===
===-Dean
===
(Roy) wrote in message .. .
=== DeWalt did have saws with braking. They were a green color with a gray
=== or beige spatter, had a cast aluminum arm cap with a red circle in
=== them. Mfd from about 1964 on up until they went out of business. All
=== these Green spatter finished saws had brakes. All of themwould run on
=== 120/240 VAC as well. Sure is a shame to use such a good saw as a
=== DeWalt for a metal cutoff saw. I kow when we used ours to cut rebars
=== etc the motor did not last long. A replacement back then was a small
=== fortune, probably next to impossible to find one today. DeWalt also
=== had a line of gray coled machines that were supposed to be contractor
=== duty, and were similar to the GW and GM models, one of which had a
=== duplex arm. I do not know if these had brakes on them or not. If its
=== only a 1.5 hp I assume its an 8" or a 10" at the most.
===
=== Dewalt , then Lancaster Machine tool, then later Dewalt AMF, and
=== finally Black & Decker Dewalt. A lot of the original style Dewalts are
=== still made by a company now called Original Saw Co, in Iowa, and parts
=== are available from them and also Wolf Machinery in Iowa. YOu maya be
=== able to find somehting out by contacting one of the above companies.
=== They do have an online parts and tech section on the saws as well.
===
=== On 24 Mar 2004 13:06:03 -0800,
(Dean) wrote:
===
=== ===I need some advice concerning a DeWalt radial saw motor. It will
=== ===potentially be used for a metal cutoff saw but I can't figure out the
=== ===wiring.
=== ===
=== ===It is a single phase, capacitor start, about 1.5 h.p. The cord coming
=== ===out of the motor has one each of a green, black, white, and red wire.
=== ===I have gone to the DeWalt website and found a wiring diagram that
=== ===tells me the green is ground, black is hot, and white is neutral. All
=== ===that makes sense but the red wire is shown connecting to the power
=== ===switch at the far end of the motor and to the capacitor at the motor
=== ===end. Ufortunately they don't show the internal connection diagram of
=== ===the start switch so I don't know what the red wire gets connected to
=== ===if anything.
=== ===
=== ===I have connected the other wires (color to color) to a pig tail with a
=== ===110v. plug. When plugged in the motor seems to work just fine. Is it
=== ===possible the saw uses some sort of electronic braking?
=== ===
=== ===Hope someone has one of these and can shed some light. Thanks in
=== ===advance.
=== ===
=== ===-Dean
===
=== Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
=== Opinions expressed are those of my wifes,
=== I had no input whatsoever.
=== Remove "nospam" from email addy.