Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Henry Law Henry Law is offline

Default wall cabinet coming off

wrote:
Hi,

I will greatly appreciate if anyone can guide me in right direction on
this. Our kitchen wall cabinet is coming off of the wall from the top
side. Not only this, the outer frame is sliding out of the top and
shelves. The top and she;ves seem to sit (and run) in groves in the
inside of the outer frame. As you can see I am not good at explaining
it in words and woodworking terminologies, therefore here are the
pictures

http://tinyurl.com/2snsrm

I will hate to have it taken off and get it reinstalled. Rather, I
will prefer to prevent this situation from getting worse.

Although it's hard to see exactly, I think the situation is this:

* The shelves are attached to the sides of the cabinet
* The sides are attached to the back using small nails, as shown in
photos 93 and 96. Not very strong.
* The back is attached to the wall.
* So when the shelves are loaded they transfer the load to the sides,
which transfer it to the joint between them and the back. That's
a weak joint (nails have very little strength in the "pull"
direction), while the joint between the back and the wall is
strong (screws in a wall plug), so it's the joint between the
sides and the back that goes.

In other words, you have a cheap, poorly-constructed cabinet which has
been over-stressed and is falling apart. If I'm right no remedial
action will help; there is nothing for it but to take the thing down and
replace it with a new one, preferably better made.

Take heart, though: these things tend to be of a standard size so your
new one should fit into the same space and not leave too much damage to
the decorations.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England