Posted to uk.d-i-y
R R is offline

Default mortise lock - no key

"TMC" wrote in message

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a door with mortise lock and no key. Probably the original lock
from 1930s. Never needed to open that door before. I would really have
to damage the door to get the lock out. What is a reasonable price for
a locksmith to pick it ? I don't want it re-keyed, just opened.
Thanks,
Simon.

Use a 100mm or 115 mm angle grinder with a 3mm metal cutting blade access
between door and frame from inside

Have used this method where lock went faulty and key would not work
It was a new lock with the anti cut rollers in the bolt but worked a treat
so should be easy on such an old one

There are also 1mm cutting disks available if space is at a premium.