Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack Mike Halmarack is offline

Default bolts rusted in to cast iron bench

On 16 May 2007 01:29:37 -0700, Burlington Bertie
wrote:

I've got two park benches which I bought from Sheffield Council 20
years ago. These consist of cast iron ends coach bolted to wooden
planks. I had to replace the wood and the bolts and now it needs doing
again. This time most of the bolts wont budge and are rusted in solid.

Applying a heavy hammer has resulted in me breaking a section off one
of the castings.

I have managed to drill one of the bolts out at the back, but this was
where I could get a straight run at it. Most of the bolts go through
the seat and the frame work means there's only 20 cm to play with to
get a drill in. I think even an angle drill would have trouble getting
into that space unless they also make very short drill bits.

The bolts are 10 mm and project about 6 cm through the metal.

Any ideas how to get them out?

Get it good and hot, then douse with oil.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack