Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice Dave Liquorice is offline

Default how to dry out after water leak?

On Sun, 13 May 2007 23:51:17 GMT, mike wrote:

For now they are just trying to dry the place out because of the awful
smell. Trouble is they cannot get at the affected area. They have some
kind of "stuck on" floor tiles onto the floorboards. Beneath that is
the ceiling void and they have managed to get a hole to that to try
and blow warm air to dry things out. No luck so far.

If there is an awful smell I'd lift the stuck on floor tiles, presumably
the leak was waste water rather than from the hot or cold water suppllies?
The smell is coming from the rotting matter in the waste water, the only
real cure for that is to remove as much as possible and disinfect.

Drying out won't clear the stains on the ceiling below, they will need to
be sealed in with a propritary stain sealer or oil based paint before
being painted over with emulsion.

Once the source fo wet/damp has been removed nature will dry everything
out over a few weeks, making sure there is ventilation in the void is a
good idea. I doubt that you need forced ventilation just somewhere for air
to get in and some where else for it to get out.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail