Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] forward2office@verizon.net is offline

Default Cultured Marble Shower Stall Re-Caulking

I have a cultured marble shower stall that the Silicone caulking looks
bad on, black mildew behind the white caulking. I had this shower
stall installed 2 years ago & it looks like crap already. Where it
looks bad is along where the floor and walls meet. There is not a
"pan" for the floor, it is a more flat cultured marble piece that has
a rough non-slippery surface that the walls sit on.

I have removed all of the old silicone & was ready to put in new
silicone. My dad says to use grout instead, that it will hold up
better and be easier to install. I thought I had heard that grout was
not waterproof?

My question is, can I use grout in this joint along the floor in the
shower stall? Will it hold up? If so is there a type of grout that
would work best?

I do hate working with silicone, it is such a mess & the stuff I
worked all day to dig out was only there 2 years.

Thanks in advance!