Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default Ceiling holes for recessed lighting cut too big!

On May 12, 3:55 am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
timfel wrote:
Our electrician has accidentally cut all the ceiling holes for some
halogen downlights about 6mm too big!

The lights now pass through the holes instead of just covering them.

Does anybody have a solution (other than repositioning the lights
somewhere else and filling the holes)?

It strikes me that this must have happened many times before, so
perhaps somebody has invented some sort of hole reducer that you can
press into the hole or something...

Any ideas gratefully received!

get the old bits of plasterboard and cut the centers out smaller, and
stick them back in a bit below the surface with bonding plaster..or just
about anything..then reskim, repaint and mount the lights up.

Or use a scrap piece of plasterboard to make new holes as above.

I gather that downlights are held up by clips that grab on to the
plasterboard. In which case to avoid the light falling down I'd make
the scrap pieces of plasterboard an inch bigger than the hole and put
them above the hole through a couple of slots on each side of the
hole. Then plaster the whole lot flat. But will the clips tolerate two
thicknesses of plasterboard?

One day the fashion for downlights will change and everyone will be
ripping them out. That is unless they cause a fire that buns the house
down before fashions change.