Posted to alt.home.repair
dean dean is offline

Default Put down garden lime with a rotary spreader?

On May 7, 10:39 am, dpb wrote:
On May 7, 9:08 am, dean wrote:

I've got 10 bags of lime to spread over my lawn. Is a rotary spreader
a good choice here? Do I need to be careful of clogging up the gears?

Not unless it is granulized for the purpose of spreading w/ one it
won't work well. Lime tends to simply pack into a solid chunk w/ an
ordinary rotary because the agitator isn't big/tough enough to break
it up. I've seen the cheaper plastic ones simply strip the spinner
while better ones basically just rotate and the product bridges over
above them. Need a linear drop-type spreader or simply throw it out
w/ a shovel and till to spread it around and even it out.

Its a fine powder. Do you think if I sieve it, it would be ok? The
powder seems to be pretty much non-lumpy as far as I can tell. I have
too much area for a dropper.