Posted to alt.home.repair
John Q. Public II John Q. Public II is offline

Default Generac 7550 Generator

On Apr 9, 8:18 am, " wrote:
On Apr 8, 6:01?pm, The Fisherman wrote:

On 1 Apr 2007 09:02:38 -0700, "
wrote:

I dont need thegeneratoroften will
ask him tomorrow for a wiring drawing, the momentary contact switch is
heavy duty but nothing special, t the time he said it connects the
start winding, which excites thegenerator. you push it justy long
enough to hear engine speed drop a little which means its generating.

will see him monday. glad to be of help

Were you able to contact your friend? I've taken mygeneratorto a
shop for repair. They tell me I'll have it back towards the end of
this coming week.

If I were to have a schematic for what your friend did, perhaps I
could use it next time.

he found a intermittent open start winding, patched that and installed
the switch.

The board is potted in plastic and no schematics are available.

when I heard what he did I knew it didnt lend itself well to
explaining on the net. hopefully the service folks will get it working
well, but try it a ferw times before you put it in storage so you will
know its working.

mine worked great, tried it once, put in storage, 3 day outage is when
I found it dead.

Well, here's the update after getting it repaired.

I was told that when the wire coming from the control module was cut
by vibration due to improper routing, that the generator continued to
spin for some time and caused the magnetic field of the generator to
become confused.

The shop followed Generac's instructions and hooked up a DC power
supply to the slip rings of the generator and realigned the magnetic
field. After doing so, it works fine.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

If not, I'm going to call Generac myself and have them explain how and
why this happened.

I'm not sure I believe this explanation that cost me $275.00

If someone HAS heard of this or at least understands how this really
works, please tell me.

Thank you.