Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default what causes batteries to leak acid?

On 27 Apr 2007 22:42:05 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

"Charles" wrote in
:

I'm thinking Baking Soda to wash with(?).

That's good when the electrolyte is an acid. Works great for car
batteries (lead and H2SO4) and other acid types.

When the electrolyte is a base, no joy.

use vinegar when dealing with *alkaline* cells.

Vinegar is a mild acid,will neutralize alkaline electrolytes.(bases)
Rinse afterwards,then dry.

Which is best? (clear) or "yellow") I use it too cut calcium; say from
hard water (car,shower,etc.) Which is stronger?

For "heavy-duty"(carbon-zinc) cells with acid electrolytes,use baking soda.

--
Oren