Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.homepower
Neon John Neon John is offline

Default Frugal Dehumidifier - any good models widely available?

On 24 Apr 2007 06:41:25 -0400, wrote:

Another worthless rubber-stamp patent issued in spite of vast amount
of prior art. Disgusting.

This technique was quite useful in New Orleans after Katrina.
By law (US Code 102/103), the patent would not have been
issued if it were not novel.

And if you believe that, I have some nice oceanfront land in TN to
sell you. Do you think that the patent for the common tree swing was
novel? How about the "cat exerciser", chasing a cat around with a
laser pointer? Reckon there was any prior art? How 'bout the Nexium
patent that, when all the verbiage was stripped away, covered a
slightly different shade of purple from its predecessor, Prilosec?
Thankfully, that one got slapped down after someone requested a
reexamination.

In computer science, the infamous "XOR" patent that covered a basic
screen update technique that had been in common use for years. All
issued in the last 10 years. Or the recent patent office chief, can't
recall if it was GW's or Clinton's, who said publicly that they didn't
have enough manpower to examine patents anymore so they were issuing
almost all and would let the courts work it out?

None of this addresses a moisture problem in a basement, of course.

Of course it does, precisely.

Really? Let's do a test, sort of a worst-case one. Obtain one of
those fans and send it to me. I'll install it along with data logging
equipment and we'll see what it does in this environment. I have
several HOBOs including the temperature and RH one. I'll buy the duty
cycle one to log the fan run time. I'll log the power consumption
with the same meter I used to log my dehumidifier so there won't be
any calibration questions. If it works then I'll either buy it from
you or return it, your choice. If it doesn't, I return it to you.

"Working" is defined as 50% or lower RH in that space at all times
without raising the temperature above 70, conditions suitable for
valuable book storage.

This should be an excellent testbed since even when the temperature is
in the 90s in the day, it drops to at least the 60s at night. The
common factor is the almost always high humidity.

You game?

John
---
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
All great things are simple and many can be expressed in single words:
Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope. -Churchill