Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer Vent: Window Well Covers...

"waves2ya" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings gurus...

I've a dryer I am installing directly in front of a basement window.
That window has a window well cover (http://www.idealtruevalue.com/
servlet/the-9069/Detail). I had planned on taking out one of the
panes of glass in the window and constructing a vent. Of course, this
vent would exhaust into the well and cover.

Should I be concerned about condensation and the general integrity of
this idea...? Would it be better to go through a beam (wood, cedar
shingles) a construct a dedicated vent (rather than using window)...?

Many thanks in advance for ideas...

I have seen the dryer vent through the window pane set-up before. It is
certainly possible to do it that way. However the air from the dryer needs
to flow outside somehow otherwise the clothes won't dry. Unless you prop
the window well cover open you will be preventing the dryer from operating
properly. You can also count on the window well getting covered with lint.