Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Dryer Vent: Window Well Covers...

"waves2ya" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings gurus...

I've a dryer I am installing directly in front of a basement window.
That window has a window well cover (http://www.idealtruevalue.com/
servlet/the-9069/Detail). I had planned on taking out one of the
panes of glass in the window and constructing a vent. Of course, this
vent would exhaust into the well and cover.

Should I be concerned about condensation and the general integrity of
this idea...? Would it be better to go through a beam (wood, cedar
shingles) a construct a dedicated vent (rather than using window)...?

Many thanks in advance for ideas...

For aesthetics, yes. A vent through a window hole just looks hillbilly,
IMHO. Will it work with a cover on the window well? Not very well- that is a
pretty small space, and the air will get saturated quickly, even of the
window well cover isn't a tight fit. It'll be a mini-rainforest, and things
will start growing in there. I'd go through the rim joist above the sill
plate, and put a proper flapper cap on it. If those words are confusing,
just google 'dryer vent installation', or pick up a DIY book. There are lots
of pictures out there.

Mine goes through a window pane, and exits under the 18" tall back deck.
When and if I get around to reskinning the deck, that will change, not sure
exactly how yet. Maybe an external snorkel up through the deck, or a
lift-out panel for access. (You need to be able to get to the outside
flapper to clean it.)

aem sends...