Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al Big Al is offline

Default Run versus Start Capacitors - How to tell

"stoneattic" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 18, 11:20 am, Tony Hwang wrote:
stoneattic wrote:
I have a 9" Craftsman (Sears) drill press that just smoked the motor
capacitor. I call Sears about a replacement and they want to sell me
the whole motor (of course). I'm trying to replace just the
capacitor but I don't know if it's a run or start. Here's what
labeled on the cap:

CBB60 SH
16mF +/- 5%
-25/70C
250VAC
50//60Hz
Wenling Star &Fire Capacitors Factory
E215152

The model of the drill is 137.219090 if that helps

How can I determine if it's a run or start cap?

No normal electric motor has a 16 MF start capacitor. And, most run
capacitors are 370 volt. You can replace it with a 16 MF 370 volt run
capacitor. They are available at W.W. Graingers or Johnstone. Or, why not
try Sears parts?

Al