Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Martindale Dave Martindale is offline

Default Run versus Start Capacitors - How to tell

dpb writes:

But it could be (and w/ a drill press it's what I'd expect) just a
capacitor-start motor to provide the starting torque.

I wouldn't expect to see a capacitor-start motor in a drill press.
Drill presses start up under no load (except some friction from the
bearings and belts) so they don't need much starting torque. A
capacitor-run motor provides a positive starting direction and better
running torque than a split-phase motor, without any need for a starting
switch or starting relay.

I have a Sears drill press with a capacitor-run motor. One bench
grinder is also capacitor-run.

Besides, starting capacitors are often in the range of hundreds of uF,
while run capacitors are usually tens of uF.

Dave