Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Smelly water feature

Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 09:12:04 UTC, Tim S wrote:

Here's a useful reference: http://www.milton-tm.com/healthpro/pro_faq.htm

My point was the lack of toxicity. Milton is bleach with some extra
purification - to reduce toxicity - as your reference says. Perhaps I
should have said "Milton is not just bleach". As for the money, it
depends on what value you place on safety - given the relatively small
amount required, cost is not really an issue.

Hi Bob,

Milton *would* say that, wouldn't they...

Personally I wouldn't worry about it for a water feature in the slightest.

To put this in perspective, my late mother told me once that she couldn't
afford Milton for my baby-bottles and she came to a similar conclusion
concerning the fact that many products were based on the same key
ingredient as Milton. Not wanting to poison me, she rang up Domestos's
technical people and asked if such-and-such a Domestos (non-perfumed, non
thickened etc) product was safe to sterilise baby bottles. She was assured
that it was. I'm still alive 38 years or so later...

Perhaps Milton does use Sodium Hypo made to a higher standard, or maybe they
don't. But I *really* don't think anyone's going to get poisoned by using
regular bleach in suitable proportions in the context given here.

However, this is academic - if little is needed, the OP can use Milton if it
makes him happier

Just my 2p's worth.

Cheers

Tim