Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer The Wanderer is offline

Default Smelly water feature

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 08:33:32 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Spent the weekend getting the garden ready for summer.

Pressure washed the deck & furniture, oiled both & decided to clean out the
water feature.

What with handymanning it none of it got done last year so it was all a bit
of a mission.

Water feature was really smelly when switched on, I suspected something had
got into the tank & died!

Turned out just to be filthy, cleaned out tank & filter and all is well.

Is there anything I can add to the tank water to keep things clean &
fragrant?

Many garden centres do a 'clear feature' additive for water features.
Bleach would do as a temporary measure, but it degrades in a matter of
hours in strong sunlight. Only add a very small amount, as it might harm
any rubber pipework, couplings etc. That presumes, of course, that it is
just a water feature and doesn't have any fish.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net